Expansion of St Andrew's School, Kettering completed.
The existing Primary School, originally built in 1902, was enlarged by adding 4 classrooms in a two storey wing, extending 3 existing classrooms and combining 2 classrooms into a multi-use studio.
The classroom extensions were achieved by 3 ‘pods’, which were supported on steel frames over the playground area to save space.
The two storey extension reflects the traditional style and materials but is supported structurally by a steel frame with composite floors.
The old and new structures are linked with a metal clad stair core, defining the distinction between old and new on this £1.5m project. This link accommodates the storey height difference in levels.
Due to the sloping site and limited room, “silent“, hydraulically driven, sheet piling was used to retain the neighbouring highway.
BCAL were appointed as civil and structural designers on the project and were involved from planning stage to completion.
Contractor: Jeakins Weir
Architect: PHP Architects
Client: Northants County Council / Lend Lease Consulting
Published on September 16th, 2015