The existing Primary School, originally built in 1902, was enlarged by adding 4 classrooms in a two storey wing, extending 3 existing classrooms and combining 2 classrooms into a multi-use studio.
The classroom extensions were achieved by 3 ‘pods’, which were supported on steel frames over the playground area to save space.
The two storey extension reflects the traditional style and materials but is supported structurally by a steel frame with composite floors.
The old and new structures are linked with a metal clad stair core, defining the distinction between old and new on this £1.5m project. This link accommodates the storey height difference in levels.
Due to the sloping site and limited room, “silent“, hydraulically driven, sheet piling was used to retain the neighbouring highway.
Client : Northants County Council
Architect : PHP Architects
Principal Contractor : Jeakins Weir
Structural Engineer : BCAL Consulting
Civil Engineer : BCAL Consulting